Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Gapuwiyak



After returning from this small town in East Arnhem Land, I already miss the welcoming families and the happy-go-lucky kids in the community. I am somewhat glad, however, to be returning to the more structured lifestyle with which I am more familiar. Although my time here was not focussed on photography, as usual I took the camera along in case I spotted any good photo opportunities. 

It is currently in the wet season here and thus experiences prolonged periods of cloudy skies and rain. This said, there were a few moments of sunshine between the storms. The buildup to the wet season would likely be the best time of year for photography in these areas. I was reminded to simply work with the conditions you are given. All in all, the trip presented me with a chance to practise using some new ND filters and gave me some things to learn. 

Here are a few of my favourite landscape shots from the trip. 







It is a pretty flat landscape, so looking for striking imagery was a tough challenge. I quickly decided it was a good idea sticking to the concept of simplicity. This seemed to suit the type of scenery and produced a few shots that I found pleasing. I wanted to really emphasise the subtle tones and colours throughout. The ND filters worked a treat and I was absolutely loving the extra freedoms afforded by their use. 

Key Points in Arnhem Land:

1. Plan a way to negate moisture - my gear quickly became damp from the humidity. 
2. ND filters are now on my must-have list to allow shooting flexibility.
3. To exploit the spectacular scenery here, shoot it from an aerial perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Love all your work! You could probably go up with one of the MAF pilots. I know its not usually your thing, but did you happen to get any photos of the kids up there? We are trying to head up there in July to see Dan.

    ReplyDelete