Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"...You Must Have A Great Camera"

I guess I don't usually like to talk about this very much as I'm fairly limited in this department. However, it strikes me as something which people often seem to comment about. For example, I again received the comment from a bystander whilst removing artwork from the walls of my recent exhibition:

                               "I love your photography! ... You must have a great camera."

I have decided to take this sort of comment as a compliment rather than an insult as I think the former was the desired intent. It does, however, raise the question about what photographic gear is required in order to get the images you would like to have.

Whilst every photographer would dream of having a limitless budget for the equipment they require, those people who actually do are in a very small minority. There are usually at least two or three things (either accessories or major gear items) that one COULD purchase given the finances. Yes, I'm still working with the DSLR I bought when I left school, however there are a few tips here which may contribute to the topic.

1. Obviously, you want to get stuff that is going to last and is also suitable for the task. When shooting for a particular purpose, do make sure you have the ESSENTIAL gear to go with you. For landscapers, that might simply be: camera, tripod, computer/software. For portrait artists/wedding photographers, this could include: camera, Even if this item is not the best on the market, it is FAR better than nothing. I've seen some decent deals on gumtree and eBay for second hand goods that would suffice.

2. If possible when purchasing gear, find pieces of equipment that will be TRANSFERABLE. Two examples here. First example: I recently upgraded my tripod to one I am very happy with. The old [6 years] was cheap, light, and rather wobbly. The new cost more, but weighs almost 3 kg and is quite solid. Specs aside, it can be transferred to ANY camera I own in the future. Second example: Although sometimes expensive, you may choose to purchase a good filter or set of filters. You could buy the shown filter specific for your lens size - without an adapter, it will remain limited to THAT filter size.


OR, you could purchase a filter SYSTEM which allows you to transfer filters from lens to lens and hence from camera to camera. I use one similar to this.
Cokin Filter System
3. Work with the gear you already have. Especially if you are limited financially, it is far more cost efficient to simply use the equipment you already own. As frustrating as this may be, sometimes reality must play some role in the decisions you make. On the positive side of this, have a look at this previous post to see that sometimes your limitations make your photography stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment