Sunday, November 25, 2012

Opportunity

I would have loved for it to stop raining on me right at the point when I was taking this photo. However, it didn't. Although the clouds through which the sun strongly beamed were not perfectly crisp, the result is still quite satisfying. 

At certain other times I have talked about time and opportunity (like in this post on waiting) in photography. It is very true that the timing of a shot is extremely important to how the shot turns out. I was again out at the zig-zag past Gooseberry Hill yesterday evening for sunset. A summer thunderstorm was passing overhead and the rain was still plentiful. Lightning was striking overhead and to the left at the time whilst the storm headed south of the city. Everything in front of the lens was that little bit blurry, including the detail in the clouds. I would have loved to have crispness in the clouds and yet by the time the rain had lessened the light was also gone. 



This simply makes up part of the story of a scene. The image has enough discernible detail and structure to create a great sense of warmth and mystery and so I certainly think this one will do well as a wall-sized canvas. 

For me this is definitely a motivator to appreciate the fantastic opportunities that are presented on a regular basis. Things don't always turn out as we would hope or plan - I guess this is just one part of what makes photography interesting, enjoyable, and rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment