Friday, July 19, 2013

Black & White Crush

Over the past couple of years, I have developed a strong passion for distinctive black and white images. I think this could be partially attributed to the fact that there are millions of over-saturated and poorly constructed colour photographs. So, as much as I enjoy a great colour photo, I'm always keeping an eye out for scenes that would make good monochrome conversions. Most times, these turn out best if they are pre-planned rather than an afterthought; however, there is always the occasional exception to the rule.

Some fantastic black and white photographers include those earlier people such as Max Dupain (Aus), Frank Hurley (Aus), and the renowned Ansel Adams (US). 

Max Dupain

Ansel Adams

Frank Hurley


                                                                           
I suppose these men did not have the same access to colour that we now have. They were forced to utilise the tools that were available to them which I believe accentuated their ability to use monochrome to its full potential. After taking away the colour, it draws the eye then to the other photographic elements, primarily composition and texture. Correct exposure is critical.


The image above is in some ways a little peek at my next possible exhibition; a compilation of a few portions of most images. Some time ago now, I spoke about the possibility of putting together an exhibition; mostly due to baby circumstances, it didn't come to fruition at that time. I am happy to say that I currently have twelve un-exhibited  black and white images selected. Most of the images have, however, been presented on my blog at some point over the past twelve months or so and it will roughly follow a Southwest WA theme. 

No comments:

Post a Comment