Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The Old and The New

An interesting exercise is to review some old photos and revisit them with some improved skills and photographic thoughts. My apologies in advance for the fluffiness of the post - it is unashamedly a little arty farty. 

The photo below was from a while back and I re-did it the other day. Interestingly enough, I don't think I would have done anything differently at the time of photographing for this one as it's got a certain style that I enjoy.


I suppose it is this style that hopefully remains in any image. Looking back at older photos, I am less than impressed with many of the technical aspects of my photography. However, it is some of those photos that hold some style which I am more happy to revisit. Maybe it's just an odd perspective, an unusual feeling, or a strange sense of reality. The much more recent photo below was taken of a joey  relaxing with its mother and has some similar attributes. Although I would love the larger kangaroo to also have her head down, there is just something about the photo which appeals to my own imagination; this may not appeal to the imagination of another. 


Moral of the story here is this: an ideology that I believe perfuses my photographic drive strips a photo away from it's technical aspects. If photography was purely about technique and image quality, the person with the biggest camera, most gear, and most money would be the winner. However, from this perspective, EVERYBODY can enjoy being part of a creative process. In doing so, they can also communicate something good for themselves and their viewers. Ideally, what someone communicates in their photography is also common to man and can be appreciated by all who see it. 

Takeaway Tip: Enjoy your own artform and practise seeing the good in that of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment