Saturday, July 13, 2013

Smoke and Fog

Glad to be back with the camera again after a reasonably long time off with baby.

Something I have been wanting to photograph for quite some time now is a good fog scene. After gettting down to -5 C in Wandering the other day, I was provided with just an opportunity. There is a small billabong I have been waiting to photograph seemed just the spot. The morning of the shot gave me a chance to get both in the one image. After getting down to the location, I quickly set up my gear and got shooting. As I was taking 20-second exposures, it was fortunate that my batteries lasted as my charger was left at home. I am personally quite pleased with the result and there is fortunately not much that I would change if I were to retake the image.

4 Key Pointers:

- Imagine the photo before taking the shot
- Plan a specific time and place (for this it was 5:30 AM)
- If photographing before sunrise, think about how you will focus your camera in the dark
- Ensure you have plenty of battery power ready to go before your shoot


A second photo I have long been hoping to get is pictured below. For this photo, there it was very important to keep in mind how exactly I wanted the picture to appear once I was finished. I used a handheld flash here with long exposures and photographed the scene using about 7 separate frames. Because of the darkness, I was able to isolate virtually all the aspects of the image without too much trouble. A small amount of light-engineering was needed for the shot in order to maintain a natural/realistic looking lighting environment. This clearly needs to be done prior to pushing the shutter. Apart from stitching the resulting images, very little was required in post-processing. With only one minor exception, I am quite happy with how it has turned out (I would incorporate a sky/treeline if I ever do a reshoot).

2 Key Pointers:

- Consider lighting angles and intensity before completing the shoot
- Especially during hours of darkness remember to check exposure charts during shoot




Have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment